Thursday, September 2, 2010

Fractional CO2 Laser

Facts:
The term "fractional" refers to treating a portion or fraction of the skin. It is an ideal treatment for acne scars, large pores, stretch marks, fine lines around lips and eyes, skin tightening and melasma. Fractional lasers create multiple minute punctures on the skin and causing injuries therefore stimulating our skin to produce more collagen during healing process. These collagen will improve the texture and firmness of our skin. Also we notice the general lightening of our skin after the treatment.

Background:

Fractional devices come in two varieties: ablative and non-ablative. The first fractional non-ablative device, Fraxel (Reliant) was introduced in 2004. It is termed non-ablative as it does not result in ablation, but rather coagulation of the epidermis. Microscopic treatment zones (MTZs) can be placed in a random or stamped pattern. Higher energies translate to deeper penetration by the laser. Penetration well into the dermis results in better collagen production.

Ablative laser resurfacing taregts and vaporizes water-containing tissue, thereby allowing epidermal renewal as well as the reorientation and regenration of collagen fibres in the superficial dermis.

The gold standard for ablative resurfacing was once the CO2 laser, but its use has plunged because of the high associated risks seen with full face resurfacing. The reintroduction of the CO2 with a fractional delivery system (Reliant) is sure to change the recent conventional thought about the CO2 laser. This laser uses a scanning delivery of millimeter spots at an ablative 10,600-nm wavelength. This random placement of lesions results in better cooling of surrounding tissues and less chance of bulk tissue heating. Healing times average several days. This laser delivers energy to the skin in a small spot stamp pattern. Several treatments are recommended. With the high absorption of light by water at this wavelength, penetration is approximately 50micrometer per pass. As minimal thermal injury occurred, resulting in faster re-epithelialization  (occurs  in 7 to 10 days) and an improved side-effect profile, but less coagulation as well as reduced collagen contraction and remodelling.

My experience:
I have mine done in a derma clinic in Kuchai, result is good but need to take leave for the long recovery ~1 week. I don't put on make up during the recovery period, but sun block is a must if you have to expose under the sun (also, I wear mask when I go out, cause don't wanna scare people with all the scabs on my face). One time treatment is not enough for my acne scars problem, I will do another round to get more apparent results =) Also, combination with dermabrasion is recommended as this is an option for patients with a combination of shallow atrophic scars and deeper boxcar scars like me. Dermabrasion used to plane down the skin that is elevated relative to any remaining atrophic areas and smooth out the contours of the entire skin surface.

 Before
Day 2
 
  Day 3
Day 5
Day 8

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I loved this weblog post. I found this webpage using Bing search engine , along with without doubt enjoyed reading over it, so I will in all probability come by yet again soon as acceptably as study on what's novel Fabulous Article!

As a final note , let me thank you for your patience with my English as (I am sure you have figured this at this moment ,), English is not my primary tongue as a result I am utilizing Google Translate to build out what to jot down what I actually plan to articulate.